12 July 2016

Blatchington Road, Hove

Judy Middleton 2001 (revised 2016)

copyright © J.Middleton
This lovely view of Blatchington Road was taken in the days of light traffic and was posted in 1911. 
The amazing roofline of the building on the left is much the same today.

North Place was the original name of this road. In those days house owners were given a large key along with their deeds and this key opened the wicket gate into Hove Drove, later re-named Sackville Road.

There used to be malt houses here but after the death of John Brooker Vallance in 1851, they were demolished.

One of the earliest transactions took place in 1854 when in two separate deeds dated 11 January 1854 George Gallard agreed to lease 6 and 7 North Place to William Chapman, Brighton victualler, for 21 years at £9 each.

In the 1870s some of the houses were listed as being in Conway Terrace but by 1879 that name had been dropped and all the houses were numbered in Blatchington Road. At one time Blatchington Road extended further east but in November 1879 it was decided to re-name the eastern part Eaton Road.

The 1876 Ordnance Survey Map shows the north side of Blatchington Road to Goldstone Villas was almost completely built up with trees behind the houses.

In February 1878 it was noted that there were 428 inhabitants in the road and in December 1878 the road between Hove Drove and Hova Villas was declared a public highway.

The Sanitary Inspector was kept busy ensuring the privies were fully connected to the water supply. He found that the following properties could not flush their privies properly.

1879 – numbers 42, 44, 60, 62, 66 and 70
1888 – numbers 59, 70 and 94
1891 – numbers 24 and 48

The houses were built as private residences and, for instance, in 1877 Charles Nye, junior, built two pairs of semi-detached houses.

But utilisation of lower floors as shop premises started early on. In April 1897 the Hove Echo remarked that conversion of residences into shops proceeded apace and at present the east end was undergoing this transformation.

In 1907 a shopkeeper was taken before the magistrates for selling counterfeit food. On analysis a half-pound of butter turned out to be entirely margarine while the Demerara sugar was in fact ordinary sugar artificially coloured. 

Street Lighting

copyright © Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time
In this photograph an old-style street lamp can be seen on the George Street corner on the left. 
It is interesting to note that the tree on the right has been planted in the road rather than in the pavement. 

In 1889 the existing gas street lamps were re-arranged and four new ones added. But when Alfred Hedger was knocked down and killed on 31 October 1892 the inquest heard the area was badly lit. The coroner therefore wrote to Hove Commissioners who in turn asked the surveyor to look into the matter. The surveyor reported that in his opinion the road was already adequately lit.

In 1900 two new lamps were added and the position of six others altered. In addition sixteen new gas burners were introduced, being of the new Sunlight Jena suspension combination. The improvements cost £24-4s

In 1923 Hove Council decided that electric street-lights should be installed in Blatchington Road.

Electricity

It seems the electricity main had been laid on the south side of the road. This was fine for those who lived on that side but problems arose when owners on the north side wished to enjoy the benefits of electricity too. In October 1926 the owner of number 43 requested a connection to the electricity supply. The powers that be duly noted that there had been five previous requests from that side of the road and that it was really time to lay electricity mains on the north side.

Pavement

In 1895 a new pavement of artificial stone slabs was laid on both sides of the road at a cost of £1,130.

Pillar Box

In 1914 a pillar-box was placed in the pavement opposite the Post Office because the wall-mounted letter-box was inadequate.

Trees

 copyright © Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time
Blatchington Road was once graced with many trees and evidence of this can be seen in this photograph. Find Holy Trinity church in its nest of trees on the far right, and find Blatchington Road by working your way to the left.

In 1925 a petition signed by 53 tradesmen in Blatchington Road asked Hove Council to fell the 22 trees that were on the north side. They said the trees were a danger to traffic and bus company Tilling’s had stated they would not arrange for omnibuses to go along the road until they were removed. The Council agreed to have the trees felled.

Hawkers

In March 1926 another petition was handed to Hove Council and 45 tradesmen signed this one. They drew the Council’s attention to the congestion of traffic caused by hawkers and the consequent danger to the public in view of the double bus service.

The Watch Committee consulted the Chief Constable and it was decided to issue an order that no costermonger, hawker or other person could use the street after 10 a.m. on any morning except Sundays to sell fruit, vegetables, flowers, toys, or any other articles from trucks, barrows, or baskets.

Recent Times

In 1990 Blatchington Road was subject to sixteen weeks of road works. It was no help when just as road repairs were about to begin, the water main was found to be leaking badly and causing cavities to open up underneath the road’s surface. Of course the main had to be replaced.

Traders were already annoyed in March and by April they reported they were losing trade. Bill Smith, owner of Hove Decorating Centre, said his trade was down by 30%.

Chris Wells, boss of Truffle’s chocolate shop, said that even in the week before Mother’s Day his takings were £500 down.

Leon Krial of Blake’s Pharmacy had recently spent a great deal of money refurbishing his shop, only to see trade plummet by 40%.

Mr S. Forodi of the coffee shop Cup ‘O’ Chino said he was losing £1,000 a week.

Kaveh Masrour of Favourite Fried Chicken said he might have to cut down on staff.

On 27 June 1990 the Mayor of Hove, Councillor Francois Dupre, officially re-opened the road, and led in a small procession of vehicles including a veteran open-top car and a vintage bus.

Notes on Houses, Shops and Businesses – North side

Number 7 – In around 1927 Mrs E. Tollfield founded an establishment known as Central Commercial College and later as Hove Commercial College. You can still see a very faint advertisement painted on the west wall of the house specifying that short-hand, typewriting and book-keeping were taught there. In around 1929 Miss G. Richardson became principal and the business stayed in operation until 1934. In 1935 Miss Richardson still lived in the house but there was no mention of a college.

Number 19 – In 1874 Alfred Nisbett ran a school for young gentlemen here.

Number 49 – If you needed to move house then the firm of Scarratt’s was a well-known name at Hove to contact. The huge removal van needed a couple of strong horses to pull it and some equally strong men without bad backs to heave the furniture about.

 copyright © Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time
Scarratt’s ran a household removal firm and in this photograph the proud family, plus family dog, line up in front of an impressively long vehicle.

Number 71 – The Queen’s Nurses occupied the premises from 1908 to 1927 when they moved to Sackville Road.

Number 83 – In 1887 Mrs Wheeler ran a school for young ladies in this house.

Number 85 – A Vokins’ Store opened here in 1974. William Henry Vokins founded the family business in 1882 at Brighton after his doctor had advised him to move to the coast for the sake of his health. He had previously worked at Peter Robinson in London where a Mr Leeson also worked. The two men became partners and purchased Soper’s Emporium, a famous Brighton shop, at 32 North Street, Brighton, which then opened for trade as Leeson & Vokins. Number 32 closed in 1997. The firm also purchased 21 North Street, Brighton in the mid-1950s and there was another branch at 44 Ship Street. Other stores opened in Rustington in 1994 and in Newhaven in 1998. Meanwhile the North Street premises closed in around 1997 and a new store opened in Western Road, Brighton.
In October 2008 it was stated that a new business called Green’s Organic would be opening within six weeks or so in the old Vokins’ store. The business partnership of husband and wife Najeh and Yasmin Ali were behind the venture. The couple also owned the Sahara Restaurant in Western Road, Brighton. It had long been their dream to open a shop selling organic vegetables but they had been waiting for suitable premises to become available. They had grand schemes for the new store that would be arranged under international headings such as Indian, Arabian or Caribbean; there would be a gluten-free range and organic vegetables; they planned to stock 70 different sorts of honey and 175 different blends of tea; there would be a deli, a halal meat counter and a cafeteria upstairs; no plastic bags would be available but customers would be offered re-cycled paper bags. The business could not have been the success expected because by 2015 Oxfam had acquired the premises from which to sell furniture and larger items unsuitable to stock in their smaller charity shops. But you can still see the hopeful green paint on the upstairs exterior together with the vertical banner announcing ‘Green’s Organic’.

copyright © J.Middleton
Numbers 83 and 85 Blatchington Road. Vokins used to occupy the premises where Martlets Shops is today.

Number 87 – F. Wright, upholsterer and cabinet-maker, established his business in this shop in 1880 and by 1896 he had expanded into the adjacent shop. The business was still in operation in the 1960s.

copyright © Norman Shaw
This bill with its elaborate letterhead was dated 16 June 1898 and it was sent to Mr Shaw who ran Shaw’s Stores on the south-east corner of George Street and Church Road.

Number 89 – G. Mence Smith, oil and Italian merchant, once had a business here and there was another shop in Brighton.

Number 99 – This was once home to the Co-op Laundry, which lasted until around 1972. Crown of India restaurant was here in the early 1990s but the owner went bankrupt in 1993. By 1995 Bryden’s D.I.Y. occupied the premises and they are still in operation in 2016. Bryden’s used to have a shop in Brighton too but this has closed.

copyright © J.Middleton
Brydens D.I.Y. maintains a colourful display outside the shop and a myriad of useful items inside.

Number 101 – In around 1927 the Co-op Butcher was established here and stayed until the early 1960s when the Co-op Footwear Department took over; it was closed by 1972.

Number 111 – In 1879 W.H. Shoosmith ran a school for young gentlemen here.

copyright © Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time
This corner site of Blatchington Road and Goldstone Villas has seen a number of changes. Note the lovely ornamental ironwork above the shop blinds. This building was demolished to make way for Woolworths.

Numbers 113-119 – Originally this corner site was a garden belonging to numbers 2 & 4 Goldstone Villas, which the West Brighton Grammar School occupied in the 1890s. Then in 1898 shops were built on the site.
Freeman, Hardy & Willis, shoe sellers, occupied number 117 in 1899. They later moved to George Street where they continued business until around 1990
G. Baker & Co, tobacconist, were located at number 119 in modest premises. They later grew into a very large wholesale firm based at Vale Road, Portslade.
By the 1930s Kelly & Sons, butchers, occupied numbers 113-119 while the Cliftonville Press Company, printers, ran their business from numbers 117-119. According to old-timers, you could see the printing machines clanking away through the windows.
These shops were later demolished to make way for a large Woolworth’s Store, which opened on 19 February 1938. It is interesting to note that the 1,000th Woolworth’s Store opened in Boundary Road, Hove on 22 May 1958. In February 1988 the Blatchington Road store celebrated its 50th anniversary, assistants donned fancy dress and manager Phil Studdert dressed up in top hat and tails. The Mayor and Mayoress of Hove, Councillor John and Mrs Anne Broadley, cut the ribbon, and the first 50 customers through the door received a free glass of wine. Woolworth’s closed in January 2009.
By 2015 Peacock’s occupied the site.

copyright © J.Middleton
This photograph was taken in 2009 with the Woolworhs name still there.

Notes on Houses, Shops and Businesses – South side

Number 2 – There was a grocer’s shop on this site from before the Great War until the 1960s when Mr Perkins took over. In 1965 Mr Perkin travelled south from Newcastle; his first shop at Hove being at 266 Portland Road. By 1968 he was established on this site at Blatchington Road. He was a dealer in china and glass as well as being a picture-frame maker and he was a member of the Fine Art Guild. Mr Perkins’ son later ran the business but he retired in 1987 although the shop continued to trade under the same name. In 2001 the business specialised in artist’s materials and it could offer over 100 different styles of frame from stock. The business never had to advertise and received many orders from a broad. By 2016 the business was called Frame of Mind.

Number 8 – It is interesting to note just how long this shop sold meat. G.W. Priestley was an early occupant. By 1935 it was still a butcher’s shop but run by J.H. Dewhurst and in 1954 it was still the same name above the shop.

 copyright © Brighton & Hove City Libraries
This impressive display of meat in G.W. Priestley’s shop was probably set out to entice trade at Christmas time. The notice in the doorway proclaims ‘Meat of the Finest Quality only sold at this establishment.’

Number 10 – Gigin’s Bakery ran a long-established business here; they were on the site in 1935 and were still operating in 1954. Gigin’s had their bakery premises on the corner of Franklin Road and Station Road, Portslade, and around the back the horses that pulled the delivery vans were stabled, looked after in the 1930s by Welsh-born Mr Pugh, the ostler. In 1938 Portslade-resident George Ellis worked a delivery round for Gigin’s at Hove with a clever horse by the name of Colonel who knew the route well. If George took too long in making a delivery, Colonel was wont to trundle on to the next port of call despite the brake having been applied. On one occasion the round was shorter than usual and Colonel was not pleased at being expected to go in his stable earlier than he wished and so he took off and trotted around the block, returning well pleased with himself.

Number 14 – In December 1890 it was reported that some ducks and chickens were being kept in a back yard, which as a consequence was in a foul state. The owner was given seven days in which to remove the animals and cleanse the yard thoroughly

Number 36 – In the 1920s the Woodbine Stores were located here. In December 1992 the Leader published a photograph dated around 1928 that showed John Ward, rounds-man, and his mobile egg shop. The vehicle’s body was in the shape of a large egg resting on a curved wall while the cab part looked like a little house complete with pitched roof. Mr Ward worked for the Woodbine Stores whose name appeared on the egg together with the price charged for eggs, which was 2/9d a dozen.

Number 42 – In December 1880 it was stated legal proceedings were being taken against George Spicer for exposing for sale at his shop a quantity of pork unfit for human food.

Number 48 – Jack Howard established his business just before the Great War and he sold fishing tackle. In 1920 Hove Council issued him with a motor-boat licence for fishing sorties limited to eight persons. During the winter months Jack Howard sold second-hand furniture and eventually this became his main trade. The business passed to his son, also called Jack, and when Jack died in 1978 it went to the third generation John Howard. By this time the shop was selling new furniture and had been doing so for the previous 25 years. The shop closed early in 1987 and was sold to a property developer. 

Number 52 – Ken Lane’s bookshop was situated on the corner of Belfast Street next door to Jack Howard’s premises. Ken Lane ran it from 1960 to 1985 and before that he was manager of Combridges Antiquarian Bookshop, 70 Church Road, Hove. Outside the shop in Blatchington Road there were two wooden trolleys painted yellow full of books at bargain prices that were wheeled out every morning. Ken’s speciality was the circus of which he had an enormous knowledge, a library of relevant volumes and many albums of newspaper and magazine cuttings.
After Ken retired the shop became a Wimpy Bar.

 copyright © J.Middleton
This photograph was taken in March 1985 
and shows Ken Lane’s bookshop at number 52 
with Howard’s premises next door.

Number 64 – In 1992 it was stated that David Jones had been a jeweller and watchmaker for over 40 years. On 22 November 1992 there was a smash and grab raid at lunchtime. Two men drove up in a stolen car, used a sledgehammer to smash the window, and then scooped up rings, bracelets, necklaces and brooches worth £5,000. Mr Jones said that over the last few years there had been four unsuccessful break-ins and some items had been stolen on three other occasions. In 2016 the shop was shuttered.

Number 68 – After the Second World War the Co-op Chemist took over an existing chemist’s business that William John Davis used to run in the 1930s. The Co-op chemist stayed until around 1974.

  copyright © J.Middleton
The original Co-op at 78 Blatchington Road was tiny compared to the modern store.

Number 78The Brighton Co-operative Society opened a small store here in around 1908 but later became a large presence in Blatchington Road. Today the Co-op is still there although it is now numbered from 78 to 82.

  copyright © J.Middleton
This recent photograph shows the modern Co-op store. Note the green livery on the name board. In May/June 2016 the corporate colour was changed back to pale blue together with the re-adoption of the old ‘four-leaf clover’ logo.

Number 82 – This corner shop was the Co-op Bakery by 1921 but by 1925 it became the Co-op Confectionary Department.

Numbers 84-88 – Sainsbury’s Supermarket opened in 1966. In 1971 Sainsbury’s decided to open their shop on Good Friday for the first time. Until then it had been normal practice for all shops and businesses to close on Good Friday. Revd Willy Oesler from nearby Holy Trinity Church was particularly upset by this innovation and he led the picket line of fellow Christians outside the shop in Blatchington Road as a protest.
The shop was popular but management felt the premises were somewhat cramped and during the 1980s actively sought for an alternative site in Hove. The shop in Blatchington Road closed on 24 October 1991 and a new store Be Wise soon occupied the premises. Sainsbury’s Superstore opened on a new site in Benfield Valley on 27 October 1992. Whereas the Blatchington Road site occupied 6,800 square feet, the new superstore was spread over 38,000 square feet.

Number 90 – Mr Lyons established Lyons’ Textiles 1952 specialising in curtains and window blinds; in 2000 his two sons were still running it. In May 2007 it was announced that Lyon’s Textiles would be closing after a stretch of 55 years making it one of the longest established Hove businesses. Melvyn Lyons, aged 63, left school in 1960 and started work in his father’s shop straight away. He said he had been involved in nothing but textiles all his working life and it would be a real wrench to let it go. But he thought it was time to retire and have a rest. His wife Judi would also be putting up her feet because she was retiring from Shoreham College where she had a teaching post.

Number 94 – This corner site has long been occupied by a greengrocer and fruiterer and in fact has only changed in recent years. In around 1921 James Goldsmith ran the shop and the business was still in his name in 1935. By 1954 the name above the window was Ernest Ward. Shopkeepers in the area were a close-knit community; James Goldsmith married Lily Flowers, daughter of George Flowers, saddler and harness maker, of 64 George Street, Hove.

  copyright © H.J.G. Flowers
The greengrocer’s shop was photographed in around 1921 and shows James Goldsmith standing in the doorway behind the boy in the long overall. His wife Lily is to be seen on the right next to her brother Harry Flowers who had recently returned from war service in Mesopotamia and was employed by his brother-in-law temporarily.

Number 100 – Cornford’s is a long established funeral director at Hove. But it was not always on this site. William H. Cornford started his business at 50 George Street and the firm only moved to Blatchington Road in the 1980s. Back in 1900 a typical funeral cost in the region of £9-17s. For this sum you could expect a coffin of English elm, French polished, lined with fine swansdown, fitted with eight solid brass handles, brass inscription plate and brass closing screws. There would also be a glass funeral car drawn by a single horse, and two mourning coaches plus the appropriate drivers and bearers.
It is curious to have three undertakers on the same side of one road but Cornford’s was in the area first.

Church Hall – This building is unusual in Blatchington Road in being still in use for its original purpose. In 1823 some people connected with the Union Street Chapel in Brighton attempted to form a Sunday School at Hove. John Vallance, who was a deacon at Union Street Chapel, provided them with an outhouse where they could hold Sunday School and prayer meetings. But when John Vallance died in 1833 the group ran into difficulties. Eventually twelve people pooled their resources and purchased a piece of land for £380 in the ‘new town of Cliftonville’. The building was duly erected and opened in 1861. On 13 August 1863 the Cliftonville Congregational Church was officially formed. But the congregation continued to use this building for worship until their new church in Ventnor Villas was finished by 1870. The hall was sometimes known as Ventnor Hall. For a number of years this enclave was the only non-conformist establishment at Hove.

 copyright © Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time
This marvellous photograph was taken on 14 June 1911 and shows the members of Brighton & Hove Women’s Liberal Association all ready for their outing. Note the small ladder the ladies had to clamber up in order get in the wagon. The church hall in the background has been in use since 1861 and remains to this day.

Number 102 – This property was built in around 1860 as a private house but later was occupied as a school for ladies. In 1897 it became the Conservative Club. Before this acquisition members had met at Ventnor Hall and Sir Edward Sassoon was the president. In the 1950s an extension was built on the side of the house that steward Charles Burstow had formerly used as a garden and where he kept chickens.
In 1997 the Conservative Club was celebrating its centenary in the premises by having an almighty row as to whether or not women should be allowed to become members for the first time. The female sex made up 43% of the club’s membership but had never been permitted to vote on any matter concerning the club. Frank Huntback, editor of Hove Conservative Club’s Newsletter, was a leading campaigner for change. He said ‘There is a feeling now that not allowing women to vote in 1997 is a bit outdated.’ In November 1997 male members voted by 85% to allow women to become full members. Hove Conservative Club was believed to be one of the last in the land to give women equal rights.
In September 2008 it was announced that Hove Conservative Club would be closing down. Lifestyles had changed and many members no longer frequented the club but the crucial fact was a disastrous venture into the property market. It seemed a brilliant idea at the time – taking out a loan to pay for refurbishing the club’s quarters while at the same time converting the top three floors into three luxury flats. What could go wrong? The flats duly went on sale for an asking price of £375,000 each but unhappily there were no takers. The property market had slumped while the introduction of home information packs had led to the market being flooded with properties. Barclays Bank had been happy to lend the Conservative Club £1 million but there was no way the Conservative Club would be able to re-pay the loan. One disgruntled member who wished to remain anonymous opined that it had been ludicrous to try and sell up-market flats without any provision for parking. 

 copyright © J.Middleton
On the left are numbers 106-104 that once housed the Eaton Wine Stores at ground level and the large house on the corner opposite the church was previously home to Hove Conservative Club.

Numbers 104-106 – In 1911 George Henry Squier purchased the properties on the corner of Hova Villas that had been built in 1873 and by 1874 were occupied by a grocer and tea dealer. The premises were originally numbered 2-4 Blatchington Road before the road was re-numbered. The Squier family ran the Eaton Wine Stores on this site from 1911 to 1973. They also sold a special tea called Hijat developed by Commander Batts Brown of Eaton Gardens who owned a tea plantation in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) and had invented a special process to reduce tannin to a minimum. This product was sold for a short time during the 1930s but the Second World War killed off the trade. G.H. Squier’s son Derek joined the RAF for the war but afterwards he returned to manage the store. In 1973 he and his sister as joint directors decided to retire and the business was sold to Courage & Co; they ran an off-licence called Arthur Cooper & Co from the premises. For some years during the 1990s the premises were boarded up and finally in 2001 they were renovated as living accommodation.

Please note the following have separate articles on the ‘Hove in the Past’ website :- 

Charity Shops

Number 36 – Age Concern used to be located here. In November 1999 Hove YMCA opened a shop called Revised Electrics.

Number 47 – The Oxfam Bookshop opened in 1995 and it is still in operation in 2016. An Oxfam Charity Shop was located at this number in 1974 but by 1997 it had crossed to the south side at number 42.

Number 73 - SC Baby Aid opened in April 2001 and closed in early 2016, moving to premises in Portland Road instead.

Number 74 – Save the Children opened in around 1987. On 7 October 1997 the Princess Royal visited the shop; she is patron of the charity.

Number 85 – Martlets Shops

Number 97 – Martlets shop; now Café

Number 111 – Red Cross

Cafés and Restaurants

Number 12 – The Sea Horse Fish Bar was there in 2000 and is still there in 2016.

Number 14 – Halangers Bistro. There has been a restaurant here since 1984. In February 1995 chef Andrew Trezise and his wife purchased it but kept the same name. All meat, game and poultry used are free-range and organic.

Number 15 – Conway’s Café was here in 1954.

Karim’s Tandoori – In 1974 it was known as the Curry Centre Takeaway. Karin’s was opened in June 1987 and Din Mohammed was the owner with his brother Musa being the chief chef. Family recipes were used. In June 1993 it was stated that Mohammed had introduced Balti dishes that originated from the Punjab region. In November 1988 a lady sitar player performed on Saturday evenings. In 1999 Karim’s was refurbished and Mohammed thought it was the first Indian restaurant to have its own website. But the restaurant had gone by 2016.

Number 19 – Singapore Kitchen was established in around 1971 and it was still functioning in 2000.

Number 38c – Frank R. Taylor ran a café here in 1954.

Number 32 – First Cup, coffee and cakes, here in 2016.

Number 52 – Wimpy Bar was established here in the 1980s but later moved to the other side of the road at number 105. By 2016 Rumours café occupied the premises.

Number 58 – Ramsbottom Fish and Chips, a family-run business was established in 2011 and is still there in 2016.

Number 59 – Hungry Seagull replaced Snax Café and opened on 14 August 1999. The theme was Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club and memorabilia lined the walls ranging from photographs to Albion shirts. Peter Ward, ex-Albion star, launched the café. Jason Saunders, 26, and Lucy Walsh, 24, both of Henge Way, Portslade were the brains behind the venture; they received money from the Prince’s Trust to set up this business and also invested their own savings. Unhappily, the café only survived for a brief seven months before Mr Saunders closed it for personal reasons. The premises went on sale as a business on a three-year lease for £17,500. Hidden Pantry was there by 2016.

copyright © J.Middleton
This photograph shows Lizzie’s Sandwich Bar (number 61) and Hidden Pantry (number 59).

Number 61 – Lizzie’s Sandwich Bar opened in around 1990 and is still in business in 2016.

Number 67 – Mrs Ivy E. Myers ran a café here in 1954.

Number 70 – Amici, café here in 2016.

Number 83 – Fortune House was there in 2000 but was gone by 2016.

Number 97 – C.H. Robinson ran a pie shop here in 1954. By 2016 it was Café 97.

Number 99 – Crown of India; the owner was declared bankrupt in July 1993. Bryden’s D.I.Y. had replaced it by 1995.

Number 105 – Continental Café and Sandwich Bar opened in 1996. Wimpy replaced it and by 2016 it was Cottage Chicken.

copyright © J.Middleton
It must be unusual to have two establishments specialising in chicken right next door to each other. But KFC has been here since the 1970s.

Number 107 – Kentucky Fried Chicken has been on this site from at least 1974 and in 2016 it is still in operation.

Number 109 – Cup ‘O’ Chino opened in 1987 and was still in operation in 2016.

 copyright © J.Middleton
The Cup ‘O’ Chino has been going since 1987.

Street Directory 1935 – Shops and Businesses

North Side

1.   Theodore Charles Pocock, physician and surgeon
3.   William Underdown, haulage contractor
21. S.I. Davis, teacher of music
25.  Herbert Ernest Pearmain, musical instrument dealer
35.  Mrs G. Hilton, apartments
49.  Scarratt Brothers, furniture removers
57.  Mrs Mable Smith, dressmaker
65.  Albert Edward Kettle, decorator
69. David Hood Torrance, dentist
73.  George Cottrell, tailor
79.  Mrs Gertrude Hunt, ladies’ tailor
83. Thomas Henry Mills, furniture dealer
85/87. F. Wright & Sons, furniture removers
89.  David Collins, grocer
91.  S.G. Bradshaw, cycle agent
95.  Charles Smith, stationer
95.  Charles Edward & Frank Bridle, boot-makers
97.  A.E. Sole & Co. estate agents
99.  Reliability Stores Ltd. wireless stores
101. Brighton Co-operative Society, butcher
103. Home & Colonial Stores
105/107. Howard Brothers, furniture dealers
109. C.W. Woolgar, baker
111.  A.W. Hockin & F.G. Cashmore, chemists
111. William Stickland, hairdresser

 copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
A March 1915 Brighton Graphic advert
for Kelly & Son.

113/115. Kelly & Sons, family butcher
117/119. Cliftonville Press Co. Ltd.

South Side

2. Nunn & Son, stationers, confectioners and tobacconist
4.  A. & E. Banks, wireless dealers
4a. Decora Wallpapers
6.  Bristow Brothers, leather merchants
8.  J.H. Dewhurst, butcher
10. Gigins Ltd. baker
12/14. C.L.L. & F.J.B. Taplin, greengrocers
18. N.D. Brook & Sons, cabinet ironmonger
20. Joseph Edgar Smallwood, boot-maker

 copyright © Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton & Hove
A 'Buy British' advert from the September 1915 
Brighton Graphic

22. Leon Mitzman, watch-maker
24/26. William Page, greengrocer
28. Robert H. Adhemar, builder
28. J. Hay & Son, wireless stores
30. Mrs H.B. Birch, confectioner
32. Frederick William Fielding, butcher
34. Mrs Florence M. Bailey, tobacconist
36. S.B. & M.O. Dupree, grocers
38a. Economy Dry Cleaners
38. Gordon Brown, seed merchant
40. Frank Sturt, confectioner
42. Joseph Brown & Sons, tailors
44. Percy Mainstone, greengrocer
46. Richard Eveleigh, book-seller
48. Jack Howard, fishing tackle
50. John Sheppard, dairyman
52. Frank Harvey, grocer
54/56. Hamilton & Son, pork & beef butcher
58. J. Cooke & Sons, boot and shoe-maker
60/62. Still & Sons, draper
64a. Iris, florist
64. Rutland Sanitary Laundry
64. C. Walker, accountant
66. James Smithers Sears, draper
68. William John Davies, dispensing chemist
70. Henry Gedge, watchmaker
72/74. Timothy Whites (1928) chemist
76. Alfred Louis, hairdresser
78. Brighton Co-operative Society, grocer
80. Alfred Collins, greengrocer
82. Brighton Co-operative Society, confectioner
84. F.J. Miller, furniture dealer
86. Walter Horace Baber, hairdresser
88/90. Percy & Frederick Pigott, tailors
92. Charles Alfred Wiseman, tobacconist and Post Office
94. James Goldsmith, fruiterer
96. Lipton, tea merchant
98. H. Ogden, confectioner
100. William Cooper & Son, dairyman
102. Hove Conservative Club, Cecil J. Saunders, Hon. Sec. / Charles Burstow, steward
104/106. Eaton Wine Stores

Street Directory 1954 – Shops and Businesses

North Side

1.   A.R. Thompson & Partners, advertising agents
15.  Conway’s Café
41.  Mrs Margery A. Gardiner, chiropodist
43.  Adéle, ladies hairdresser, proprietor Mrs A. Atkins
45.  S. Rothbart, ladies outfitters
59.  A.W. Deed, wool stores
61.  Mrs S. Lenz, gowns
61a. Mrs Phyllis Taylor, tobacconist
65.  Kettle, builder & decorator
67. Mrs Ivy E. Myers, café
69. David Hood Torrance, dentist
79.  E.G. Brown, furniture dealer
83. T.G. Burford, fishmonger
85/87. F. Wright & Sons (Hove) Ltd. house furnishers
89.  A. & D. Collins, grocer
91.  D.P. Fenner Ltd. chemist
93. Mrs. A. Smith, stationers
95. Frank Bridle, boot-maker
97. C.H. Robinson, pie shop
99a. Miss King, dressmaker
99. Brighton Co-operative Society, laundry
101. Brighton Co-operative Society, butcher
103. Home & Colonial Stores 
105. Hall & Warner Ltd. decorator’s merchant
107. Serre Achille Ltd. dyers & cleaners
109. C.W. Woolgar, baker
111. Kelly & Sons, beef & pork butcher
113/119. F.W. Woolworth

South Side

2a. Griffiths Stores, family grocer
2.   Nunn & Son, confectioner
4.   Channel Rug Shop, carpet retailer
4a. Suzette, gowns and millinery, proprietor Mrs B. Dayrell
6.   Bristow Brothers, boot & shoe repairers
8.   J.H. Dewhurst, butcher 
10. Gigins, bakery
12/14. Reed & Chapman, fruiterer
16.  Northampton Shoe Repairer
18.  N.D. Brooks & Sons, cabinet ironmongery
20.  William Edgar Smallwood, boot maker
22.   E.J. Odom, practical watch and clock maker
24/26. Standing & Funnell, greengrocer
28.  Mrs Ann Kerridge, radio dealer
30.  Cecil Charles Rich, confectioner
32.  Powells, high-class butcher
34.  Norman Pollins, furrier
36.  S.E. Holden, florist
38d. Southern Typewriter Service, proprietor B.P. Colchester
38c. Frank R. Taylor, café
38a. Stanley M. Topper, tailor
38.  J. Ryder, upholsterer and bedding manufacturer
40.  Frank Sturt, confectioner
42.  Joseph Brown & Sons, tailors
44.  Percy Mainstone, greengrocer
46.  Mrs. E.L. Hughes, bookseller
48.  Jack Howard, furniture dealer
50.  Jack Howard, proprietor S. Hewetson, fishing tackle maker and pet food dealer
52.  Mrs D, Wallington, dressmaker
54/56. Hamilton & Son, butcher
58.  J. Cooke & Sons Ltd. boot & shoemaker
60/62.  Still & Sons, draper
64a. Iris, florist, proprietors Misses Edwards & Dunford
64.  Kerbro Products Ltd. lamp-shade maker
66.  W.J. Francis, electrical engineer
68.  Brighton Co-operative Society, chemist
70.  W. Stickland, ladies hairdresser
72/74. Timothy Whites & Taylors Ltd.
76.  A. Louis, hairdresser
78.  Brighton Co-operative Society, grocer
80.  A. & D. Collins, greengrocer
82.  D. Dowling, upholsterer
82.  Saville Cleaners Ltd. dyers & cleaners
84.  Hove Adelphi Snooker Club, R. Seymour
84.  F.J. Miller & Son, furniture dealers
86a. Homade Bakers
86. Maurice, ladies hairdresser
88. P. & F. Pigott, tailors
90.  Lyons Textiles
92.  Harry Yates Long, tobacconist and Post Office
94.  Ernest Ward, greengrocer
96/98. Lipton Ltd. tea merchant
100. William Cooper  & Son, dairymen
102. Hove Conservative Club, Albert Martin, Hon. Sec.
104/106. Eaton Wine Stores

Shops and Businesses – May 2016

North Side

1. Brennan Herriot & Co. Accountants / Hove Media Centre / Murray Media /  Conservatives / Acupuncture and Massage Actually.
19. Singapore Kitchen
29. Remnants (Closed).
37. Express Repairs
41. Hove Flowers Ltd.
43. Southern Technology Laptop Computers
45. R. & R. Electrical
47. Oxfam Bookshop
49. City Practice Dental / Durstone Gibb, chartered accountant

 copyright © J.Middleton
These shops are numbered from 43 to 49 Blatchington Road.

59. Hidden Pantry
61. Lizzie’s Sandwich Bar
77. YMCA Dialogue
75. St Mary’s Phone Centre
73. Baby Aid (closed)
71. Tai Hair and Beauty
83. Fortune House
87. Martlets Charity Shop
89. Blatchington Road laundrette
91. My Pharmacy / Blake’s Pharmacy
93. AI News
95. Mosaic Hair and Nails
 
 copyright © J.Middleton
This photograph shows the shops from 87 to 93 Blatchington Road in April 2016.

97. Café 97
99. Bryden’s D.I.Y.
101. Hove Cycles
103. Klodhoppers (children’s shoes) closed. Cats Protection charity shop opened in June 2016.
105. Cottage Chicken
107. K.F.C.
109. Cup ‘O’ Chino
111. Red Cross Charity Shop
113-119. Peacocks, clothes shop

South Side

2. Frame of Mind
2a. Joeie’s Convenience Store
4. Empty shop
6. Wolf & Dagger
8. Taboo, Adult Boutique
10. Jasmine’s Well-being Centre
12. Sea Horse Fish Bar
14. Thai Connection
16. Tax Assist Accountant
18. Bobby & Dandy, Vintage Leather
20. Teresa Baker & Michelle Tanner, mother & daughter funeral directors
22. Ladies That Do.
24. Department, Flea Market
26. Sam Church, hairdresser
28. H’s Barber Shop
30. Nail Star
32. First Cup, café
36. Stone (closed)
38. The Caring Lady Funeral Director
40. Trutex of Hove, school-wear
Oxfam Charity Shop
42-44. Juggs Indian Furniture and Gifts

copyright © J.Middleton
These are some of the interesting items to be discovered at Juggs.

46. Run (closed)
48. Boutique Dress Agency
50. Poppets, toys and clothes
52. Rumours, café
54. Iceland Frozen Foods
58. Ramsbottom, fish and chips
60. Blatchington’s Ltd., carpet and flooring retailer
64. D.L. Jones, jeweller (closed)
66. YMCA Charity Shop
68. Coral, betting shop
70. Amici, café
74. Save the Children, charity shop
78-82. Brighton Co-op supermarket
84-88. QS, store
90. Barber & Frank, men’s barbers
92. Post Office
94. Wine me Up
96. Johnsons Dry Cleaners
98. Magic Hair Design
100. W, Cornford, funeral director

Sources

Argus
Encyclopaedia of Hove and Portslade
Directories
Hove Council Minutes
Middleton, Judy Brighton & Hove in Old Photographs – A Second Selection (1994)
Middleton, Judy Britain in Old Photographs : Hove (1996)

Thanks are due to Robert Jeeves of Step Back in Time 36 Queen’s Road, Brighton, BN1 3XD for allowing me to reproduce five of his wonderful photographs

Copyright © J.Middleton 2016
page layout by D.Sharp